Friday, June 1, 2007

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!


Today is Teacher Appreciation Day here at school and the National Honor Society kids have prepared a host of breakfast goodies in the staff lounge for us. (gotta' love those kids!) Now - if the staff lounge was on the other end of this huge building I'd be okay. But my room connects to it through a series of two small back rooms which means my classroom inadvertently gets used as a cut through for several teachers throughout the day. Which also means that they have been parading through my room all morning with plates piled high with all kinds of treats and "helpfully" reminding me to get to the lounge before all the "good" stuff is gone!


Crap!


So of course my curiosity got the best of me and I just had to venture in during second period which I happen to have free. Pretty much everything in there was calorie laden. It was a virtual carb fest! So I did what any good little dieter would do and hunted for the fruit. (You can tell teenagers put this spread out because there was only one teeny, tiny plate of fruit hidden among trays of donuts, muffins, scones, brownies and bagels.) I took 3 grapes, 1 piece of melon and 1 piece of pineapple. And none of the creamy pink topping that looked pretty darn good. Whew! That was easy. Sort of. But as I walked out I lingered just a tad too long near the pastry able and somehow my hand got a life of its own and reached for a small scone. I made a mad dash before my hand decided to do anything else without my permission.


And though I did take a scone - I didn't succumb to the temptation to fill my plate up as I once would have. (assuming no one was looking....)


The breakfast ends in 2 hours, so I'm heading down to the copy room on the OTHER side of the building for the rest of this free period to print my final exams. (Yes...we actually have final exams in Art) much to the dismay of my budding Picassos.


Every small hurdle is a victory. I don't count the little slips as long a I get back up again and get back in the race. Remember the hare and the turtle? I may be a turtle but I'm gonna' get there !

No comments: