Friday, June 29, 2007

On Top of The Hill!


Happy Birthday to me! Today is my actual birthday (the surprise party a while back was held early enough to throw me off.) I'm fifty. Yep...the big 5-0! As in "half century" and officially at the top of that proverbial "hill".


It's funny. Everything still looks the same from up here. I suppose all that's changed is that I'll start getting AARP stuff in the mail (American Association for Retired People). And I can get a discount at McDonald's now too. Oh joy...like I need that!


An awful lot happened in the last 50 years. I became an orphan at 40 (lost both parents in the same month) and a widow at 45. Years ago, had anyone asked me how I'd cope in the face of such tremendous loss I'd have said I couldn't. But I did and I have and I will again. I'd wouldn't be honest if I said I did it all on my own because I truly know the only way I made it through those dark years was by the grace of God. His strength has seen me through some pretty tough times and I know that there will be tougher times ahead. Hey - I'm not being a pessimist here - it's just life!

So tomorrow I head down to the lake. I'm excited for the down time but a little apprehensive about the neighbor situation (can anyone say JERK!) Hubby won't be joining me until next weekend so I'll have to contend with Mr. "ImAnAss" all by my lonesome. I'm feeling feisty now that I'm 50. Perhaps the fireworks won't only be on the 4th of July this year!


As for the big meeting yesterday at the In-laws last night....guess they decided on a party after all. (My brother-in-law said they wanted to take us on a trip! I had my bags all mentally packed!) Now it's back to a party. A BIG party. Like around 300 people with a band and dinner and open bar! Yikes! Glad they're paying! I think mom wanted the trip and dad wanted the party. Looks like dad won.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Happppppppppy Birthday!!!!

TitanThirteen said...

I missed your birthday! Sorry about that :o( I hope it was a great one and you got lots of prezzies! :o)
[[HUGS]]