Monday, June 18, 2007

ARGHHHH!


Yesterday was a rotten day. Which sounds weird I guess, since I was on such a high Saturday after that marvelous surprise party.


I went to the mall after church to hit the local bookstore. I am required to read one chapter in this certain book for my "classroom management" course and report on it tonight. The book is checked out in every library within a 20 mile radius of my town. And because it's a new release it's only out in hardcover. I can't justify shelling out $26.00 to read one chapter. So I found it at the bookstore and plopped myself down in one of the overstuffed chairs in the reading section and read my chapter. Then I put it back on the shelf. Okay. So far so good. Then I went to one of the department stores and bought a new pair of spiffy sunglasses with one of the gift certificates I received Saturday. (Ever notice how cool you feel in a new pair of shades?) So...still good. Moving right along I decide that it's probably time to update my scale. The one I've been using is ancient and it eats through batteries at an alarming rate. So I use some more birthday cash and get a new scale. Digital, weighs in .1 pound increments and measures body fat, has memory store and all that other happy stuff that I'll never use. Just give me the numbers, baby.


Again - I'm still feeling pretty good. You know where this is going don't you? So I drive home with my sporty new sunglasses on, my required chapter read, and my new scale in the back seat. As soon as I get home I unwrap the scale, quickly read the directions and bring it upstairs. I set the old one in the hall and put the new one in the place of honor. I step on. And I scream! It can't be! This is not right! I take all my clothes off. I step on again. Okay. So my clothes weighed 1.7 pounds. I'm still in shock! This new scale is 12 pounds heavier than the old one!


Relatively speaking - I just regained the 12 pounds I lost in one fell swoop! Well...I know I didn't actually regain them. Even though my old scale was off - it still measured that I'd lost 12 pounds. It's just that the starting and ending numbers are very much different. Which means that my actual starting weight was not 185 as I'd thought. It was 197!!!


So I have to change my weight tracker now. And I feel like crap. I know it's just a number - but it's a HIGH number! (did I actually call my scale "beloved" last week??) And even though in my head I know that I really did lose those 12 pounds - I'm still feeling like crapola.


An addendum to this little tale.....hubby came home later on that evening and went up to take a shower. I stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited. As I expected - he screamed too.

1 comment:

Christine said...

:) Take the scale back! LOL! Isn't that nuts how different one scale can be from another? Keep your head up - its just a number - its the way you feel and way your clothes feel that means the most. Take care.