Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mind Over Matter


When I got home yesterday I absolutely DID NOT want to walk. I was super tired from staying up late standing in our hole last night (lol) and the subsequent campfire that followed. This body of mine has grown accustomed to 7-8 hours of sleep and I really felt it yesterday. I was dragging all day!


But....I've realized it's mind over matter here and I had a little conversation with myself on the drive home from work that went something like this:


"I'm soooooo tired. I should probably skip walking today."


"No! You know how you are. If you skip today , you'll skip tomorrow."


"Why would I skip tomorrow?"


"Because that's how you are. You're an "all or nothing".


"But I need a nap. Maybe just a little nap and then I'll walk."


"You know you'll feel LESS like walking after a nap. Who are you kidding."


"But it probably wouldn't be good for me to overexert myself and walk when I'm this tired."


"Oh, pleeeeeas! Like carrying around 40 pounds of excess weight is good for you? Just put your sneakers on the minute you get home and do it."


"Okay, okay. I'll do it"


And that last line is where the mind played over the will. When I decided to just do it. And guess what? I did it! And I actually felt good while I was doing it. After about 15 minutes the endorphins kick in and everything starts to feel good. (Even my little broken toe felt good!)


And because I walked, I had the reserve to eat well yet once again. For dinner I covered a skinless chicken thigh with some diced fresh tomatoes, onions, a few calamata olives and some fresh basil - wrapped it in foil and baked it. It was so good! I had a side of some fresh asparagus that I rolled around in 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, some course salt , basil, oregano, thyme and pepper that I baked in the oven along with the chicken. It was filling and satisfying!


I've discovered the key to eating fewer portions (is to make what you've got more interesting.) Add more color, more texture and of course - taste!) The calalmata olives did the trick!


I've been running circles around the fruits and veggies too. Including some with every meal. And this morning - I actually had some color in my cheeks BEFORE I put my blush on. As in...I think I'm getting healthier!







2 comments:

TitanThirteen said...

Well that worked out awesomely! You would have kicked your own butt if you didn't have that walk, so good on you!
I find that i can control my portions better by adding more veges. And i use a smaller plate so the food looks like more :o)

I just noticed on your side bar that you are nearly 50, and yet you still feel 20 on the inside. I feel like that too. Like my mind stopped "aging" when i was 18, but my body kept aging. I explained it to the kids like that too, when they want to know why i get excited when i kick their butts on a Gamecube game lol
Coz i'm the best duhhh lol

Lora said...

Isn't it so wierd the way we age on the outside but not the inside!! My dad always told me that.... For years I waited for the time when I would actually turn into a full fledged "grown-up".

Hasn't happened yet!