Monday, July 16, 2007


Yesterday I spent a good amount of time at the other house picking blackberries and blueberries. Each year it's always a rush to beat the birds to 'em! The blueberries are easy to pick - no brambles and thorns. But the blackberries are another story. They 're in a spot that's somewhat over grown and needs some TLC. To get to the really plump ones I have to venture in. And silly me - I traipsed over there in shorts and sandals. What was I thinking?!


Right now my legs look I climbed over a barbed wire fence! But I got a fair amount of the little black caps and we shall have jam all winter! As for the blueberries....they are just awesome this year. Fat and juicy and sweeter than I remember. I tossed a handful on my cheerios this morning with a sprinkle of cinnamon and remembered another one of the reasons I love summer!


I'll be baking some blueberry pies....and yes, I know.....lots of sugar in them. Perhaps I can try something different. Has anyone had luck with a sugar substitute in pies? It has to taste like the real deal or hubby will balk. He's nuts for my berry pies and is chomping at the bit for one.


And in case you're wondering why I'm so ga-ga over the little guys - check out this site . You'll be amazed at how good they are for you! We have 3 bushes planted and they provide enough of the little fellers to keep us supplied through the next season.


On another note, I still haven't gotten back into my journaling like I should. It's been a month and the blank pages were staring me down saying "Write something, Lora! Anything!" So the cheerios & blueberries got recorded. That's a start. I need to record what I eat! It's the only way I can be honest with myself. If no one else holds me accountable, at least my trusty little journal will.


I'm off to walk now. Perhaps I'll take some pics along my route and share the sights in tomorrow's post. In the meantime - grab yourself some blueberries and enjoy!

No comments: