Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Confession....


Yesterday wasn't a very good day. I ate all day. Every now and then I'll have a day like that (and it always follows a bout of really good days - eating and exercising and losing pounds) where I just want to eat everything in sight. It's almost cyclical. And it's not related to that time of the month because that hasn't been happening for over a year. I'd like to blame it on hormones....menopause....anything except myself. But *sigh* I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's at fault here.

On a more positive note (we're focusing on the positives here, right?) I did my DVD workout and my strength training. But please don't tell me in your comments that it's okay - at least I worked out - and we all slip up now and then. Because today dear friends - I need a swift kick in the butt. I know myself pretty well, and a day like yesterday easily can slip into several days and before you know it - I'll have undone all the good I did so far.

This journey we're all on...it's hard. Because sometimes it seems so darn long. The finish line seems so far off! And perhaps that's the problem right there. Because when you think about it - there really shouldn't be a finish line. We like to think of our goal weight as that ending point. But this is all about LIFESTYLE changes! I have to keep reminding myself that! The weight coming off is just a perk. And yes, I did say other day that we need goals. And we do. But they can't be that final magic number on the scale. They have to be more tangible. Focusing on that goal weight can be so self defeating at times. Because most days it seems so far off. And some days it seems darn near impossible. And those are the days we tend to throw our hands up in the air and say why bother...then systematically eat anything that isn't nailed down.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. I didn't write down anything I ate in my journal. I only drank about half my water. I didn't even take my vitamins. And of course...there was the food.

I'm taking a dose of my own medicine here - you know - the stuff I so freely hand out to all of you as if I had the perfect handle on everything (which I DON'T). I'm making a U-turn and getting back on track. But kick me in the butt anyway okay? I need it! And I promise I won't be offended!

13 comments:

Felicia said...

No kickin the butt here. Maybe just a soft shove back into the right direction. Of course since you have written this post you are already headed back into the right direction so actually dont need the shove now do you *grin*.

Yesterday is yesterday and today is today. Face forward and off you go down the right road again!

You can do this!!!
*huggles*
=0)

Pattie said...

I heard a great Weight Watcher leader say something a few years ago that stuck with me (and made me laugh!):

"Count it as a vegetable, and move on."

When we screw up, that's the best course of action - let it go and move forward. It does NO good to beat yourself over it: you can't undo what's done.

So pick yourself up, Lora - dust off the cookie crumbs, and start fresh today with your head held high!

{{Big hug for you!}}

Ready Maid said...

Just wanted to drop by and say hi from one grandma to another. Thumbs up on your introspection, but welcome back to the "now," where faith is.

I'm new to the challenge, only since Jan 15; so let's stay in touch.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

As long as you know that a screw-up day doesn't make you a bad person, I'll leave the "it's okay" comment at the door. :)

Looks like you've already got yourself turned around and headed in the right direction. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

It's always harder to practice what we preach. If we did practice, the world would be a perfect place. I have to agree with Felicia, you already headed in the right direction by confessing on your blog. I don't know about you, I have found that writing about my obstacles is helping me keep my head in the right place.

Today is a new day!

Anonymous said...

Yup that's weight loss for you! A whole lot of hard work with very little excitement.

One swift kick coming right up!

A) You should not have any of that stuff in the house. You don't need it and neither does your husband.

B) You are not last week's Lora, so you "don't always do this". You've learnt a few things since last week, so you can have new truths about yourself. Just start believing them!

C) Next time you feel like something "illegal", picture its weight in fat. Not nicely wrapped butter, but bubbly yellow human lard. Yum!

This concludes the kicking part.

Congrats on the exercise! That's just awesome!

Anonymous said...

Now, I don't know if I can kick you in the butt. Logs in eyes and all that sort of thing, you know. You're writing to a whole lot of us with the same inclinations. If we already had it nailed down we wouldn't be blogging about this.

I'm glad you realize that this is a lifetime thing and there is no finish line, except for death. Between now and then, though, I want to have the best life I can. You do, too.

I challenge you to write down everything you eat for the next week, even (and ESPECIALLY) if you go off track. This has helped me avoid serious damage for over 6 weeks now. Weigh and measure anything you eat or drink before you put it in your mouth. Write before you bite. Are you in? Let me know.

Heather said...

oh I have those days too! and you are right, it is HARD. no one said it would be easy though. And, one day of making mistakes doesnt make you a failure or mean that you have ruined your efforts. because yo uhavent. now just dont let this become more than one day!

HappyBlogChick said...

It is hard. It is hard, but so so worth it. But then, it's hard to remember it's worth it sometimes, so ... it's hard!

All the eating ... it's not hunger, is it? I'm assuming it's a "throw your hands up" moment and not a hungry moment, but I do have to ask. Sometimes "very good days" make me hungry, because with all the exercise I'm burning calories. Are you doing weight watchers? If so, and if you were hungry, eating some of those activity points may be in order. Just a thought.

Anyway, good for you for admitting that things went awry. Now you can get back on track and move on. One step back isn't a problem as long as you take two steps forward. And then a few more. But first things first, right?

And as a side note, Pattie, I love the WW leaders comment!

TitanThirteen said...

It's always easier to give good advise to others, rather than taking it.

In that book i'm reading, where it talks about hungry and full. It addresses how to avoid that "all day eating". It talks about how we can't feel full if we don't feel hungry when we first start eating. It talks about how the two responses work together, to control our eating.
I'd be dropping the pounds like flies too... if i wasn't drinking that is!!!
I still stick to the principles in the book though. Because one day i'll get my act together, and i'll only have to worry about one addiction, not two!

Anonymous said...

kick, kick, kick....feel better now? ;o)

Ok, here's a website to go to for a bit of (sometimes) brutal honesty - not specifically about weight loss, but he usually motivates me out of a slump...
www.craigharper.com.au

take him with a grain of salt. I really like him but some find him a bit too much in your face.

Hope your day is going better today. I know what you mean about V-Day and gifts and men and all. We don't celebrate it....it takes the pressure off and truly, it's such a commercial holiday. It works for us anyway

Diana Swallow said...

Honestly I'd be broke and still not be able to sit down if I visited that booth every time I had a bad food day. Just put it behind you and move on.

Brightcetera said...

Here is a swift kick. in. the. butt! Snap out of it! :)
I have also have to remind myself that it's a lifestyle change...a new, healthier way of living...always. It's less scary that way for me since it seems like less pressure.
Now get off your butt and get moving, girl!