Thursday, July 24, 2008

One Week at a Time.....


I've been thinking a lot about what Diana, aka Scale Junkie wrote the other day regarding her move from the land of Denial and her proposed 12 week journey into Reality. I looked at the sidebar on my blog and saw the "I lost 5 pounds" badge. It's been there for an awful long time. And I've realized that it's time for me to pull up roots and make that journey too.


No...I'm not abandoning my blog. I've "met" way too many awesome people that I consider "friends" in cyber sort of way. What started out as weight loss blog has morphed into somewhat of a online"Coffee Klatch" where we check up on one another, offer support, motivation, a few laughs and virtual prayers.


What I mean is that I need to change my game plan here and start doing something productive in this war with my scale. Because frankly - the scale is winning. I am the ultimate Queen of Procrastination. Every good intention is slated for tomorrow. And those that actually do come to fruition get lost along the way when my motivation wanes or life as they say - gets in the way.


So I've been thinking. A lot.


And a 12 weeks program sounds like something plausible. But not in the way of a 12 week challenge - or a 12 week diet plan - or a 12 week deadline. More in the way of an extended 12 step program - with a totally new twist. Lest I sound like I'm starting up yet another of my pie in the sky schemes that I'm convinced will be the ticket to my war on weight - I'm not. Because this time I'm not even focusing on the weight. I'm redirecting my energy in a different way. When I focus on the numbers on the scale - and they don' t budge - I lose my mojo and eventually give up. What I'm doing this time is establishing new habits and getting rid of bad ones. One week at a time. The only measure of success will be whether I do it or not. One week at a time. You can't get more tangible than that.


I've developed a list of things in my life that I believe are sabotaging my weight loss efforts. And I'm going to tackle each item - one at a time so that it's more manageable. I'm not going to worry about anything else. Because frankly - I'm the kind of gal that always likes to bite of way more than I can chew. I'm an all or nothing type and I've realized that I'll never do it all - and nothing isn't working. So one thing - one week at a time.


I'm not going to give you my list right now. I'm still fine-tuning it and will probably make revisions as I go. I can tell you this - that my goal for the first week - which starts today is this: NO MORE FAST FOOD! That's been a real downfall for me because there's something about eating in the comfort of my car with a good magazine and no distractions that has a real pull on me. I'm a fast food junkie. No two ways about it. I fell in love with MacDonald's back in the day when you could only eat in your car and the burgers were 15 cents. yeah...I'm that old.


So for the next 7 days - no fast food. That doesn't mean after this week I'll resume my old habit. It just means that THIS week - that's the thing in my life that I'm changing. Maybe eventually when I've tamed the beast I'll allow myself fast food once a month. Or maybe not. Next week I'll tackle another demon. And the following week - another. Then eventually I'll be adding some good habits into the mix.


Will this work? Who knows. I've tried and failed so many times it's not even funny. But I DO know that if I don't get the things under control that are sabotaging my efforts - I'll never win this battle. I'm getting rid of the dead wood so to speak. If anyone wants to join me - feel free. Your demons may be totally different then mine. But face it - those of us that are not doing so well - just running in place it seems - have got to get things under control. One thing at a time. One week at a time.

11 comments:

MaryFran said...

I love your idea of taking ONE thing and working on that one sole thing. You are right, it is so easy to get bogged down with all the stuff that goes into this healthy lifestyle thing. I think you are on the right track! I rooting for you and I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Lora said...

Thanks Maryfran! I'll keep you posted. I tried to visit your blog but wasn't able because your profile is private....

Diana Swallow said...

We need to make this manageable and measurable and by taking it in 12 week blocks and looking at each week as it comes it makes the time real and it makes the time count. You are absolutely right about redirecting your energy, I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Thank you for your kind words today, I've thought about WLS and honestly without insurance, its just not something I can consider.

Pattie said...

This sounds like a great plan, Lora. After all, it's those habits of ours that got us into trouble in the first place. So by focusing on one per week, you can really make some major changes for the good.

I'm with you on the fast food addiction. I've stopped it for now, but Taco Bell still calls my name on a regular basis. I would sure love to be one of those people who look down their noses at fast food. But I don’t believe that will ever be me.

Kate said...

Sometimes we go overboard in wanting it all at once. It sounds like your 'one bad habit at a time' plan is very sensible.

~Kate
Fabulous @ 50

TitanThirteen said...

Sounds awesome! I am going to do that too, and list each weeks thing on the side bar :o)
I think i'm also going to look into going to AA :o/

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found someone else who has a fast food problem! I read blog after blog and there is absolutely nobody who writes about it. It's a HUGE problem in my life. I just like being able to eat a meal in peace without my kids hanging onto my shoulders. It is truly an addiction I think. I even have problems of bringing it home to eat. So don't feel like you're alone with this!

I LOVE your idea - good luck to you on it!

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

Tackling things one at a time is a time-proven method. Several successful dieters have done it,and some books take that approach (address one "vice" or "weaknes" a week or add one good habit a week.)

Either way, sounds good. Fast food damages a lot of us who fall for the easy temptation. Fixing healthful meals, brown-bagging lunch--it takes time and effort. I hate grocery shopping, but it's the only way for me to lose. To commit to getting that fresh produce and lean protein, not call for pizza or Chinese or drive through Wendy's or Arby's.

I believe in your plan and your efforts will pay off.

My effort for this week is portioning. I have to go back to MEASURING and weighing and controlling, which I have NOT been doing. And I gotta get back to cooking MORE (the way I had been), instead of the way I've been slipping back into take-out and delivery this past couple weeks. I just got lazy.

The Princess

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Well, you know this is music to my tippy-toeing ears. :) While we all respond differently to different approaches, it just seems to make sense to "layer" in the changes. Worked for me, anyway!
I'm feeling really good about your odds, too. :)

Manuela said...

Getting a list like that is a great idea and working and improving one area even better!

Good luck with your 12 week plan, you'll definitely have to share more on that in the coming weeks :)

Anonymous said...

scale junkie is WISE huh?

all about manageable chunks and setting ourselves up for success

Miz.