Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm Home!


We just rolled in from an extended stay at the Lake. I have a mountain of laundry to do - and a gazillion things to unpack and put away *sigh* I want to be there - not here!


We had a great time and it was so nice to have all the kids and their spouses all together under one roof for a few days. The weather cooperated and gave us sunshine on cue almost everyday! We lazed around on the dock, floated in the lake on noodles, took lots of walks and boat rides (and yes - even one run) and had a wonderful campfire on the 4th as we watched the spectacular display of fireworks put on by fellow cottagers (ourselves included!)


After the kids all said their goodbyes and headed off in different directions - hubby and I ran down to the dock and hopped in the boat for a peaceful ride around the lake. We were intercepted by our friends across the lake and ended up having dinner there. The stars were incredible all week and were it not for the dock spiders (which I am terrified of) I would've spread my blanket right out there and stared at them all night long!


We had so much fun and it was so very hard to leave. We'd planned on coming home Monday night....but that stretched into Tuesday which turned into Wednesday.... And this morning hubby & I woke up, rolled over and looked at one another and relented that "it was time."


I hate leaving the lake....the slow pace where all that matters is if that there's a good book to be read, something cold to drink in the fridge and the warm sun on your shoulders. Life is simpler there. I always feel like I've stepped back in time a few decades. No TV. No computer. No mail. Not even a newspaper except the one we got when we rode into town on Wednesday to get a few more supplies.


And now I'm home looking at this mountain of laundry and afraid to step on the scale (no scale there either!) And I'm dreading tomorrow because I HAVE to get back on my running program which I've sorely neglected. Yes....I did run around the lake with my daughter - we did 10 minutes then a neighbor on the west side of the lake saw us and tagged along. She's not a runner so we walked a bit after the first 10 minutes - ran another five and then walked about an hour. But that's all I've done in over two weeks! If I don't get back on this now I never will.


So that was my week. While this one is winding down for the rest of you - I feel like a new one is just starting for me. Tomorrow I run. Do or die.


10 comments:

Kathy said...

Loved reading about your visit at the lake. Isn't it nice being surrounded by family and just enjoying things like stars in the heavens? It's too bad our lives can't be more like that on a daily basis. Maybe we wouldn't be all stressed out and comforting ourselves with food all the time! Good luck with the laundry!

Chubby Chick said...

I'm glad you had such a great time! The lake sounds like a wonderful, peaceful place.

Enjoy your run! And TRY to enjoy doing the laundry. hehe

:)

Big Girl said...

Your lake holiday sounded so perfect and relaxing. Too bad life can't be like that all the time.

Well, welcome home and good luck on your run.

Pattie said...

Welcome home, Lora! You were missed.

I'm with Kathy: it's too bad we can find a way to make that lake feeling part of our everyday lives. Wouldn’t it be lovely to go at a slower pace and enjoy life more? I'll try if you'll try!

PS – I announced the winners of my contest today, if you care to take a look. :-)

Honi said...

OHh that sounds so wonderful.. you are so lucky to have such a great retreat and I bet you will visit a few more times before summers end.. so that is good motivation.. you will get your mojo back to running today .. and even if u do not run I bet you walked so that is good.. dont worry about the scale.. get on it when u are ready.. in the mean time.. clean up your eating if you need too.. and be happy.. ohh and have fun doing laundry lol.. heck if I were u I would be planning in my mind my next lake visit lol..

JC said...

Coming back to reality is always a bummer but it has to happen. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. I'm jealous but I'm going away next week for couple of weeks. I'm not at all looking forward to the process of getting there but I'm very excited about being there. Understand? I love to travel except for the traveling part. Flying just isn't the fun it used to be when I was younger. Have a great weekend. JC

Lynn said...

That lake looks just gorgeous! No wonder you had such a great time.

Anonymous said...

Who cares about the scale?? Sounds like you and your family had an amazing time and that's all that matters.

TitanThirteen said...

You don't like the dock spiders, or spiders all together?

A few freinds of mine use laundry time to pray. That makes the time enjoyable :o)

RunningNan said...

I was wishing I would've died on my run today... That way, an ambulance or someone would've picked me up!