Friday, February 23, 2007

Talk About Motivation!



Wow! Just looking at that picture of myself each morning is enough to make me keep going! You know, somewhere along the journey (the one that got us fat in the first place) we put on these rose colored glasses that help us not see the real us. Sure - we know we've gained a little weight (okay, maybe a lot!) But we'll put on a pair of slimming jeans and look in the mirror (always from our best angle) and say to ourselves, "I look okay!" And we see ourselves as we want to be seen - not as we are seen. Until we see a picture. Pictures don't lie. And we gasp and want to die! And that's why fat people avoid cameras. Because cameras tell the truth and we don't want to face the truth. We would rather go on believing that we look "okay" and that we really aren't "that fat".

So I would encourage you to take a picture of yourself. In a bathing suit. And keep it somewhere you can see it EVERY day. Probably not on the fridge. Unless you live alone. Or you really don't care if others see that much of you. But a journal works best. I'll talk more about that in a future post. But for now - get a 3 ring binder notebook and put a picture of yourself right smack on the first page. Date it. And then say goodbye to it! (the old you that is!) Write down how you feel on that first page. All the things you HATE about being fat. Like...you can't bend over to tie your shoes like you used to.....you can't sit cross legged on the floor with your kids (or grandkids)....you won't go swimming anymore....you have to shop in the Plus Size section....you fear running into anyone who knew you before you got this way....your knees hurt.....your back hurts.... Need I go on? Write it all down. Writing is therapeutic. It's cleansing and it helps us come up with solutions.

Say for me - this is day two. I did an upper body strength training session last night (by myself). I'm reading Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight book and I love it. I've started a food journal and an exercise log. I also have a little black dress hanging on the inside door of my closet - so I can see it every time I open the closet. My goal is to fit into it. Before my 50th birthday. So set yourself a goal. Make it reasonable. We'll do this together!

No comments: