Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Life As A Frog


So I found my weights. Well, not actually found the ones I lost...but found another set in the garage. No more excuses. And it's going to be 65 degrees today (yipee! Goodbye last remnants of snow!) so I'm going to walk.

Sometimes it just seems so insurmountable - this weight loss thing. The goal seems so far away. And I know, it's all relative. Those that need to lose over 100 lbs. would love to trade places with me. Just as I'd love to trade places with those that only have to lose 20. Better yet those who don't have to lose ANY!

But here I am. I told my daughter yesterday (whose also trying to lose) to focus on 10 lb. increments. It's easier that way. I guess I should heed my own advice. For every 10 lbs. I will reward myself. No - not with food! Maybe a new necklace or piece of jewelry. (We art teachers have to look "artsy", right?)

As for the scale issue....I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I've been hesitating because I'm so afraid of what it's gonna say! I've suspected (known) for some time that mine was probably off. But in my defense - I figured it still records the losses and gains - just in numbers that are a little less scary.

I read a magazine article yesterday about weight loss....and this one woman said the turning point for her was when she asked her husband who that big woman in the red shirt was (in a picture they were looking at) and he told her it was her! She's gotten so big she didn't even recognize herself. I always used to joke that I was a "reverse" anorexic. I thought I was skinny. It's not that far from the truth - these false perceptions we have of ourselves. it's like the proverbial frog in the pan of boiling water. it happens so slowly that we aren't aware of it.

Well - this frog's jumping out. Maybe the frog will be my new incentive symbol. My own little reminder. Anyone want to join my lily pad?


No comments: