Friday, October 17, 2008

Farewell Summer.....


Last night I slept in my own bed for only the 2nd time in 10 days. In a few minutes I leave yet again to spend another night away. Tonight I'll be at the lake with my oldest daughter. But it's not exactly a pleasure trip. We're battening down the hatches for winter. You know....water off, antifreeze in drains, fridge emptied, can goods brought home, boats away, outdoor furniture stored.... I'm getting tired (and sad) just thinking about it.
Wasn't it just a short time ago that we were doing all of the above in reverse? I remember vividly standing on the end of the dock - looking across the lake and thinking how the WHOLE summer loomed ahead of us! That was 5 months ago *sigh*
There was a day when we spent more time at the lake than not during the average summer. First hubby was a teacher and I was a stay at home mom. We were truly blessed. I'm so glad we bought the place when we did - he had 4 wonderful summers there before he died.
Fast forward to hubby number two. He's self employed and the summers are his busiest times. Add building a house onto that and what do you have left? Four...maybe five quick trips to the lake if we're lucky. Although we did splurge and spend a whole week in July (!)

Next summer (God willing) will be better. The house will be done. Our lives (again...God willing) will be less hectic. I plan on spending much more time there. Even if I have to drag him. Or go alone (which I've been known to do.)

But for right now - I'm heading down to say goodbye. As always, just before I leave I'll pop my head back in the door (Mary Tyler Moore style...which means nothing if you never saw the last episode...) and whisper goodbye to the memories we made - this summer 0f 2008. I'll walk around the lakefront real quick and take in the view. And then I'll walk to the end of the dock and toss the obligatory rock into the lake that always heralds the end of the season. My middle daughter started this tradition years ago. Recently we started finding a pretty little rock and letting it rest on the railing of the deck all summer in order to "absorb" the memories. That's the one that will find its niche in the bottom of Lake Demmon tomorrow. With all the others. (I know - we're a really hoplessly, sappy, sentimental lot.)
Hopefully Sunday, I'll have time to catch up on blogs. Until then - enjoy the weekend!

9 comments:

Felicia said...

Sounds lovely. Traditions are so comforting.

Have to tell you it sounds a bit like us though lol. We have a show car that only see's the light of day on perfect days. Anyways in the Spring there is this big ta do when bringing it out and in the Fall we also have a ta do. Wash it, loveingly put its Winter blankie on and there is always this whisper of "thanks for the wonderful summer and all the memories you helped us make".

Totally corny but its 'our thing' lol. So I do understand it a bit.

Enjoy your time!

*huggles*
=0)

JC said...

I've enjoyed your trips to the lake and the building of your new house. Knowing you have it to go back to next summer with your sister just across the lake give you something to look forward to all winter. Have a great time eventhough it will be a lot of work.

grammy said...

Makes me sad just reading it. If you have been reading me you know I am having a hard time saying goodbye to summer and the mountains and camping ): and nic e weather and sun. Starting to see why oldis become snow birds. I counl not leave my grands, but would love to do without snow.

Pattie said...

I don’t think you're all hopelessly sappy at all! I think it's cool that everyone gets into the tradition of saying goodbye, and cherishing the memories of each summer.

I hope you get your wish and can spend much more time at the lake next summer, Lora. Time sure is flying by!

Anonymous said...

have a great weekend....I miss my end of summer rituals.
it's so different (for me anyway) living in a HOT CLIMATE versus where I grew up...

Hanlie said...

I love the "memory rock" idea. You're right, family traditions are a wonderful legacy to our children.

new*me said...

your lake house sounds so special. I can really feel that bond you have for it. Summer is special anyway but having a special haven like that must be such a blessing :)

Betty said...

Time does fly doesn´t it? For me it´s the other way around. Here it is heating up and maybe soon the rains will start. Which is good for us! Hope you have a nice "good bye" trip. Don´t dwell on it too much. Look ahead and see the good things that are happening now.

Anonymous said...

The tradition seems like a perfect way to say goodbye to the summer, how wonderful